Padua has a long and proud history of music and artistic performance. Since the College opened in 1956 there has been choral and instrumental music at the College. Every two years Padua participates with Mt Alvernia College to deliver exceptional stage show performances, with the most recent being The Wiz in 2018.
The College music program has always had an enviable reputation within Australia, both for its depth of talent and the broad range of musical disciplines offered to every student.
The association of the Franciscans with music is an historic one. In 1770, the 14-year-old Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart received instruction from a Franciscan Friar, Father Giovanni Baptista Martini, in Bologna, Italy.
Today, music at Padua is seen through:
- Year 5 Instrumental Immersion Program
- Franciscan Colleges’ Instrumental Programme (FCIP)
- Piano, Guitar, Drums and Percussion tuition offered through the Padua Private Music Department which are administered by the Franciscan Colleges’ Instrumental Programme (FCIP)
- Music Tours and Events
- The Musical
9 Facts About School Music
- Regular performance opportunities and involvement in large music events and music festivals including the Catholic Colleges Music Festival, Brisbane Sings, Catholic Education Combined Schools Masses, combined school’s workshops and other community events.
- Annual “Performing Arts” excursions to many musicals such as; Aladdin, The Lion King, and Matilda where students develop music appreciation and awareness of performance rituals.
- Year 5 Immersion Program where all students are provided with an instrument and participate in a small group tuition for voice, brass, woodwind, and string instruments.
- State of the art music recording facilities with Logic Software.
- Music classrooms designed to cater for large and small group performance preparations with six individual practice rooms, each with a built-in sound system.
- Multiple ensembles including several String Orchestras, Concert Bands, Vocal Ensembles and Percussion Ensembles, Rock Symphony, Chamber Strings, Rock Band, Liturgy Group and Wind Ensemble.
- FCIP Senior Ensemble overseas tour every two years.
- Rich musical, co-educational community opportunity where lifelong friendships are formed.
- Padua and Mt Alvernia Musical co-productions occur every two years.